Friday, January 27, 2012

A Teacher on the Tundra

I don't know if you've been to Ukraine, and I don't know if you've been here in the winter, but it's cold. It is the kind of cold that makes your eyeballs freeze. I am currently huddled in my little, dilapidated bed in my faux-snuggie and hugging my computer for warmth. On my stove I have a fresh pot of potato-leek soup and a candle burning next to me. Don't worry, I have electricity and I have heat... but not quite enough heat to keep me warm.

So my belly is full of potatoes, and my brain is full of irregular German verb conjugations. I work as a teacher in a Ukrainian secondary school teaching English and German. I teach the fourth through tenth grade, and I have the best students in the world. I've lived here for two months now, but Ukraine is more of a home than I've ever had before.


No comments:

Post a Comment