Friday, March 2, 2012

The Bandwagon

I'm usually late to catch on to trends... and to an extent I usually avoid them. That being said, my parents' most recent package to me included The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo.

All of my coworkers laughed at me this week as I read the pages in between classes, and even brought it with me to the cafe to eagerly devour the pages.



I am not a fan of mystery novels usually, with the obvious exception of A.C Doyle, but I have to admit... I enjoyed the book.

Three major problems I had though:

1) Did anyone else notice that every time Larsson introduced a female, he explained her sexually? Literally up until page 386 every single time Larsson wrote about a woman, he explained how she was in bed, or how sexually active she was, or how sexually attractive she looked. I don't know if he did this in hopes of people noticing considering that most of the book is dedicated to speaking out against female violence.

2) It was interesting to see, (and this isn't just Larsson), that every time a girl is in a scene, the audience must be told what she is wearing... if a man is in a scene, his outfit is never described unless it is to make him sound ridiculous.

3) I'm curious if I'll encounter an answer to in the next book - Blomkvist is repeatedly displayed as the definition of a moral man, and yet he will have sex with anyone. My question: Is this supposed to be Blomkvist's only shortcoming, or is this Larsson's way of encouraging polygamous relationships?

2 comments:

  1. I did notice how often he wrote about the women in bed. Especially the scenes with lesbians, and then the random mentions of Lisbeth looking at herself naked in the mirror. I couldn't tell if Larsson was trying to make a point or if he was just a bit of a creep.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely agree, it was so strange. I'm starting The Girl Who Played with Fire tomorrow... I'll see if it just makes my confusion grow.

    ReplyDelete