Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Women's Day!

Happy Women's Day, everyone!

International Women's Day isn't something that I've ever celebrated before... but here in Ukraine... it's a big freaking deal. Considering that I am not a mother and I am not a wife... I did not expect a lot from today.

However, my students amazed me. Seventeen roses, bouquets, boxes and boxes of chocolates, paper flowers, cards... I had to buy a bag from someone to carry it all home.

Strangely, however, this was not the most moving part of my day.

Yes, it was wonderful that my typically reluctant tenth formers had the nerve to interrupt my class to present me with flowers and a card... but... honestly? The best part of my day was when I met the mother of one of my students. She told me that her son has described me as 'the most tender of people,' and that as a mother, it meant the world to her that I had put the effort in to be kind to her son.

Moral of the story: Even if someone is loud, occasionally rude and a little obnoxious (as the student in question is), be kind. They appreciate it even if they don't tell you!

I hope you are all having a great day!


No comments:

Post a Comment